Wednesday, April 20, 2011

eat local: CSA week 2


nom nom nom





On my second week of CSA, the farmer brought to me:

U choy, Bok Choy, Pok Choy, Pole Beans, Parsley, Red onions, Tomatoes, Red Leaf Lettuce, Fingerling Potatoes, Squash, my Egg Share and I bought a Cantaloupe

It’s been a weird week. Because of the storms, they have had issues with any of the greens that normally would have been available and a large portion of this list, I would never have used. Nonetheless, we got busy. I failed to get the name of the squash but one of the volunteers told me that they are best used like cucumbers and boy was she right! I have used the mandolin to slice them for salads and some nights we have had them drizzled with balsamic vinegar…YUM. The parsley, tomatoes and one of the baby onions were used up in my favorite bucatini recipe from Rachel Ray that you can get here. The choys have freaked me out but at the suggestion from the CSA, we opted for grilling them. I took the baby bok choy and split them down the middle, rubbed them with garlic, sprinkled with salt and pepper drizzled with olive oil and threw them on the grill. I didn’t leave them on long and turned them back and forth frequently until the leaves just began to wilt. Pretty tasty business…some where in between celery and lettuce in taste and texture. I think I would actually use them again.


I feel like the Iron Chef and I am enjoying my cooking challenges. What are you cooking this week?

3 comments:

Ness said...

I'm defrosting pizzas and adding my own garnishes for the next three days. I did make jelly yesterday. Unfortunately none of this qualifies as actual cooking since it's all formula/pre-cooked (or baked). Sorry to disappoint!

Queen of the Universe said...

Hey, that counts as cooking. I know people with kids that wont even do that much! I am proud of you...:)

(BTW, frozen cheeze pizzas are awesome with grilled chicken and some veggies on top with another layer of cheese added on top of that for good measure.)

Rich G said...

My room mate has taken up making Mozzarella and I bought tomato plants, peppers, and some mint for a pot-garden on the patio. If it would quit snowing, seriously... we had a thundersnow storm on Tuesday and got an inch, just north of us, where my employee that was /supposed/ to work lived got 4 inches. I think they'd moth-balled the plows already so it was a 'wait for it to melt' kind of thing.
Wish we had one of those things CSA (Confederate STates of America?) things near here. Sounds exciting.